Friday 23 December 2011

Lenora and Madison

So... Lenora from my previous post is now Leon. I decided having two male characters would work better because a] it would give a better equality between the two characters and b] you would expect two female characters to be more willing to be protective of each other than two male characters. The way the plot works, the two take it in turns to save each other, and I thought it would just be a more interesting dynamic.

Because I still really like Lenora and her name, I decided to keep her as a character to use somewhere else. I have also been thinking lately that my character cast needs more lesbians. Or, to be more precise, any lesbians at all. My cast (and here I refer to all my characters across all stories, not just the ones from a particular story) trends towards male and this feels a little silly. Perhaps it's because I'm female and therefore I find less to discover in that aspect. I mean, obviously I'm not every personality of female you could ever find, but I relate better, so I feel I understand it better and therefore need to explore it less.

Anyway, long story short, I decided to draw Lenora and her girlfriend. Because of Lenora's previous role in Umbra as a guardian angel, I thought it would be nice to give them wings. But wings are a serious compositional pain in the behind, so I started wondering if perhaps these two are of a winged species, and every now and then a baby is born who only has one wing and so is flightless. It's a lonely life among those who can take to the skies, so they band together.

I don't know where to go with this story. I don't really want it, to be honest, because I want to focus on the ones I've already got. So I'll keep thinking about it and see if I can fit them into any other stories of mine, though that'll probably mean I'm nixing the wings. Unless they can be Mythics, but then the one-winged thing would be weird. And they'd probably have to be a bit older. Hmm... *continues to ramble to self*

This piece isn't exactly romantic, so I theorized that it's probably a little before they actually start dating. You know, they're getting along, getting to know each other, falling further into that awkward anti-communication stage where you're developing feelings but aren't sure whether or not to voice them yet. At least, that's how Madison feels. I'm finding it interesting that Madison appears quite self-confident in the way she dresses and makes herself up, and yet in demeanour she seems reserved and maybe even shy. Lenora, on the other hand, wears a dress that makes her look young and girly, yet has a more tomboyish personality. At least that's what I want to build on with these two.

Will I finish this? I dunno. I have a lot of other things I should be painting. Also, I'm leaving for Toronto tomorrow and Colombia on Monday. I'll be there with a big family friend group for a week, and although they say we should have wi-fi and I can bring my tablet or whatever, I won't have as much time to myself as I would at home.

- Hex

No comments:

Post a Comment