Tuesday 27 March 2012

Linetest: Ness

Behold, animation! I sketched this out today for a bit of practice and experimentation. Since my third year film is going to have a lot of dialogue, I'm going to need to know how to lip sync. I don't have any audio yet so this is just a basic test, mostly to see if my character is easily animatable. I think for the most part the answer is yes.



This is intended to be in-betweened, but animating in Photoshop doesn't have the same feel as with paper and a light box so it does get a bit frustrating.

As Nessa has no eyebrows, I have to rely mainly on the shape of her eyes to convey emotion. Her ears and mouth are also key points, and I've found recently in my personal art that the tilt of the head can really help as well. Though the line down the middle of her head/snout isn't really in her design, I do want to find a way to incorporate it, as it makes things much easier to read. I'm pretty happy with how I've been able to capture her personality in this animation, something I would not have been able to do without all the sketches I've done beforehand. 

Anyway, I think I'll leave this one for now and move on to the other main character, Astar. I should also do some full-body animation as well. Walking! Jumping! Flying! Actually, those are all boring technical things. It's much more interesting to animate movement directed towards conveying a feeling.

- Hex

No comments:

Post a Comment